Rajkot is the most populous city of the Saurashtra – Kutch region. The city is also known as the cultural capital of the region. Mahatma Gandhi ‘Father of Nation’, was studied in the city of Rajkot’s Alfred High School. Rajkot has so many heritage sites related to the life of Mahatma Gandhi.
Rajkot is also famous for its traditional sweets, gathiya and chevdo. There are lots of famous food items belongs to the city. The city is also known as ‘Rangilu Rajkot’.
How to Reach
Rajkot is one of the most important industrial cities of Gujarat state. It is well connected by road, train as well as air. Tourist can easily reach here from any of the ways.
By Train: Rajkot Junction is one of the largest junctions in the state. It connects the most of the major cities of the state as well as the country. You can easily reach here from the direct trains of Ahmedabad, Baroda (Vadodara), Surat, Mumbai, Secunderabad, Pune, Delhi and others. It is the most convenient way to reach Rajkot.
By Road: Rajkot is also well connected with the major cities of the country by National Highway. The condition of the road is in excellent.
By Bus: There are lots of private bus operators which provide the service from various cities of Gujarat as well as across the country. Eagle Travels, Gujarat Travels, Upasna Travels, Mahasagar Travels, Royal Express, Neeta Travels, Patel Travels and more. Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) is the Government bus operator which provides the service throughout the state.
There are so many tourist places in Rajkot for religious tour, educational tour and historical places tour. At least, one week is required to see whole Rajkot properly.
- Race Course: It is the public garden as well as play ground for children.
- Shri Ramkrishna Ashram: It is a Ashram of Ramkrishna Palace located on Dr. Yagnik Road. Telephone: 0281-2465200
- Watson Museum: Find royal chair, glasses, mirrors and antique items. It is located in the Jubilee Garden, Nr. Trikon Baug.
- The Lang Library: One of the oldest libraries in the region, located in the Jubilee Garden, Nr. Trikon Baug.
- Rotary Dolls Museum: Collection of thousands of dolls from various countries culture, located on Dr. Yagnik Road. Telephone: 0281-2464352
- Alfred High School: The school where Gandhi got his basic education, located near Trikon Baug.
- Swaminarayan Temple: Kalawad Road, Rajkot. Telephone: 0281 245 1000
- Rajkumar College: One of the oldest colleges in the country.
Rajkot is the shopping center for smaller towns of Saurashtra. There are so many traditional markets as well as shopping malls in Rajkot. If you are looking for the traditional items/products, then visit the traditional markets of the city.
- Crystal Mall: Kalawad Road, Opp. Rani Tower. Telephone: 0281 256 2319
- Big Bazaar (Shopping Mall): 150 Feet Ring Road, Chandra Park. Telephone: 0281 304 7070
- Gundawadi Market: To buy Indian outfits
- Dr. Yagnik Road: A perfect area to buy modern and western outfits
- Dharmendra Road: A perfect area to buy modern and western outfits
- Zaveri Bazaar: Most popular place to buy gold and silver ornaments
There are many beautiful places for your weekend getaways from Rajkot.
- Heritage Khirasara Palace: Kalawad Road, Nr. Metoda GIDC, Khirasara. Mobile: 099 13 077077
- Jamnagar: Lakhota Palace, Ranmal Lake, Bala Hanuman Temple, Marine National Park and more.
- Wankaner: Hills, Macchu Dam, Matel Temple (Khodiyar Ma Temple)
- Chotila: Chamunda Ma Temple
- Thomas Cook India Limited: 103, Mani Complex, Opp. Imperial Palace, Dr. Yagnik Road. Telephone: 0281 246 1561
- Amrut Forex Services: Silher Arc Ground Floor, Kotecha Chowk, Nirmala Convent Road. Telehphone: 0281 245 7729
- Almighty Enterprises and Forex: Sidhi Vinayak Complex, Upper Level Shop No.7, Opp. Ramkrishna Ashram, Dr. Yagnik Road. Telephoe: 0281-2467676
Rajkot has a wide range of hotels, from luxurious to low budgets. The most of the hotels accept payment by Credit Card and Debit Card.
- The Imperial Palace Hotel: Dr Yagnik Road, Jagnath Plot. Telephone: 0281 248 0000
- The Grand Bhagwati: Opp. Drive-in Cinema, Kalawad Road. Telephone: 099 09 905510
- Hotel KK International: Kalawad Road, near Kotecha Chowk, Kailash nagar. Telephone: 0281 245 4433
- Sarovar Portico: Limda Chowk, Opp. Shastri Maidan. Telephone: 0281 301 6000
Medium Budget Hotels
- Hotel Galaxy: Galaxy Commercial Centre, Jawahar Road. Telephone: 0281 222 2906
- Hotel Silver Palace: Gondal Road, Near Malaviya Petrol Pump. Telephone: 0281 248 0008
- Hotel Rajdoot: Dr. Yagnik Road. Telephone: 0281 246 8991
- Hotel Harmony: Opp. Shastri Maidan, Nr. Limda Chowk. Telephone: 0281 224 0950
- Vishram Guest House: 16/2, Nr. Bank of India, Trikon Buag. Telephone: 0281 – 2230555
- Ashirvad Guest House: Kanak Road. Telephone: 0281-2223702
- Jeel Guest House: Trikon Baug. Telephone: 98795 12655
- Sadhna Guest House: Jubilee Chowk, Jawahar Road. Telephone: 0281 – 2222800
- Good Luck Guest House: Nr. Railway Station, Junction Plot. Telephone: 0281 – 2471899
- Paresh Guest House: B/h Bus Stand, Canal Road. Telephone: 0281 – 2221428
Rajkot is one of the most popular destinations in Gujarat, known for its food. You can taste original Kathiyawadi food as well as western food in many restaurants and hotels, and below is a list of a few of them.
- US Pizza: Mahalaxmi Commercial Complex, Shop No. 108, Opposite Saint Mary’s School, Near KKV Hall, Kalawad Road. Telephone – 0281 653 5555
- Pizza Hut: 150 Feet Ring Road. Telephone – 0281 258 4448
- Domino’s Pizza: Ground Floor, Shop No. 1, Radhi Ka House, Plot No. 23 & 24, Kalawad Road. Telephone – 0281 257 6472
- Domino’s Pizza: Shop No 4, Ground Floor, A V Nagar Boarding Building, Opposite Virani High School, Tagor Road. Telephone – 0281 246 5980
- Khirasara Palace: Near Metoda G.I.D.C., Kalawad Road, Khirasra Telephone – 099130 77077
- Sankalp Restaurant: Kalawad Road, Opp. Swaminarayan Temple. Telephone – 0281 2456505
- Chouki Dhani: Nr. All India Radio Tower. Telephone – 0281 6543664, 6543664
- Motel The Village: Kalawad Road. Telephone – 0281-2783333
In case of emergencies, you can use the following contact of the hospitals in Rajkot. Civil Hospital (managed by the state government) is the largest hospital in Rajkot. There are number of large hospitals available in the city.
- N M Virani Wockhardt Hospital: Kalawad Road, Rajkot. Tel. 0281 669 4444
- H J Doshi Hospital: Gondal Road, Malavia Nagar, Rajkot. Tel. 0281 238 8994
- Sterling Hospital: Plot No. 251 150 ft Ring Road Opp. Gandhigram Police Station, Rajkot. Tel. 0281 394 4111
- Civil Hospital: Civil Hospital Chowk, Rajkot.