Ahmedabad is the largest city in the state of Gujarat and the commercial capital of the state. Ahmedabad is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Ahmedabad was once the political capital of the state and also widely known as the ‘Manchester of India’ due to hundreds of cloth mills in the city. The city lost the title and now there are only a few cloth mills located in the city.
Ahmedabad is also growing as one of the most popular tourist destinations in the state of Gujarat. There are lots of historical places, modern architecture and theme parks, which attracts thousands of tourists.
By Air: The Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport is the international airport, located just 15 km north-east from the city-centre. There are so many airlines provide direct flight to Muscat, Dubai, Doha, Sharjah, Singapore, Kuwait and New York. Ahmedabad is also well-connected with the major cities of the country such as Jaipur, Mumbai, Bangalore, Goa, Indore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Coimbatore, Pune and Nagpur.
By Train: Ahmedabad is very well-connected with the major cities of the country through the Indian Railways rail network. Kalupur Railway Station is the main railway junction in the city. Ahmedabad Railway Station is considered as one of the busiest railway stations in India. The city has also smaller railway stations, which are Gandhigram, Sabarmati, Vastrapur, Chandlodia, Saij, Asarva, Chandkheda, Naroda, Aamli, Sarkhej, Gandhinagar and Kali Gam.
By Bus: Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) is the Government owned public transport system. Geeta Mandir Central Bus Terminus is the main bus depot of GSRTC. You can get a bus from any part of the state and even other major cities of the country. You can easily reach at any of the major cities of India through the private buses.
Ahmedabad is having the most historical places, which are connected to the freedom struggle of India. There are also countless religious places as well as beautiful gardens. The city has also so many museums and art galleries. We have listed some of the most popular tourist places in Ahmedabad.
- Sidi Sayed Mosque: Sidi Sayed Mosque is the most popular mosque for its amazing Jhali screen framed.
- Science City: A must to visit place with your children.
- Kankaria Lake: A circular lake is the most important picnic spot for the local people, which was built in the year 1451 by Sultan Qutub-ud-Din.
- Vastrapur Lake: It is one of the artificial lakes in the city.
- Law Garden: A traditional market area as well as popular place for young hearts.
- Sarkhej Roja: Sarkhej Roja is must to see for its architectural complexes.
- Gandhi Ashram: It is also known as “Sabarmati Ashram”. It was the epicenter of the freedom struggle of India. The Father of Nation, Mahatma Gandhi used this place as his house.
- Calico Museum of Textiles: It is one of the most important textiles museums in the country, located Shahibaug, Ahmedabad.
- Sidi Bashir Mosque (Julta Minar): It is one of the oldest mosques in the city of Ahmedabad. It is also known as Jhulta Minar or Hanging Minarets.
Ahmedabad is one of the most popular shopping destinations in the state of Gujarat. Most of the people from other cities of the state visit the city for their shopping. We have listed some of the most popular traditional markets as well as shopping malls in Ahmedabad.
- AlphaOne: Plot No-216, T.P Scheme-1, Near Vastrapur Lake, Vastrapur. Telephone: 079 4019 3672
- Iscon Mega Mall: Near Iskcon Temple, SG Highway, Bodakdev. Telephone: 079 4004 0282
- Himalaya Mall: Drive-in Road, Nilmani Society, Memnagar. Telephone: 079 3012 5952
- Ahmedabad Central Mall: Panchavati Society, CG Road, Ambawadi.
- 10 Acres Shopping Mall: Raipur Kankaria Road, Opposite Arya Samaj Mandir
- Lal Darwaza
- Sindhi Market
- Law Garden
- CG Road
Ahmedabad is one of the best places for all types of tourists. You will find low budget hotels to luxury hotels to stay with comfort. It is recommended to do not ask auto-rickshaw drivers for hotels or guest house. It is always preferable to ask someone other than auto-rickshaw drivers.
- Hotel Le Meridien: Near Nehru Bridge. Telephone: 079-25505505
- The Grand Bhagwati: 301, Prahaladnagar Garden Road, S.G. Road, Circle P. Telephone: 079 2693 7800
- The Gateway Hotel: International Airport Circle, Airport Rd, Sardarnagar, Hansol. Telephone: 079 6666 1234
- Hotel Fortune Landmark: Ashram Road, Usman Pura. Telephone: 079 3988 4444
- Hotel Courtyard by Marriott: Ramdev Nagar Cross Road, Satellite Road. Telephone: 079 6618 5000
Medium Budget Hotels
- Hotel Comfort Inn President: Off. C.G.Road, Opp. Municipal Market, Navrangpura. Telephone: 079 26467575, 26464020
- Hotel Cama Park Plaza: Khanpura Road. Telephone: 079 2560 1234
- Lemon Tree Hotel: 434/1, Mithakhali Six Cross Roads, Navrangpura, Opposite Medisearch Hospital. Telephone: 079 4423 2323
- Hotel Royal Highness: Near Roopali Cinema, Across Nehru Bridge. Telephone: 079 2550 7450/2550 7982-83
- Hotel Country Inn: Surdhara Circle. Telephone: 079 3011 2222
Low Budget Hotels
- Hotel Garden Guest House: Khadia Char Rasta. Telephone: 079 22145107
- Hotel Alpha: Ashram Road. Telephone: 079 26576665
- Hotel Capri: Lal Darwaja. Telephone: 079 25506646
- Hotel Akash: Navrangpura. Telephone: 079 26465083
- Hotel Mehul: Lal Darwaja. Telephone: 079 25506525
- Hotel Milan: Sarkhej. Telephone: 079 26891799
There are countless weekend getaways from Ahmedabad, we have only mentioned a few of them here.
- Akshardham Temple: J Road, Sector 20, Gandhinagar. Telephone: 079 2326 0001, 29.2 km distance
- Nalsarovar Bird Sanctuary: Nr. Sanand Village, distance 63.1 km
- Mount Abu, distance 225 km
- Udaipur, distance 255.6 km
- Wankaner, distance 209 km
Ahmedabad is considered as one of the fastest growing cities in India. It is the commercial capital of the state of Gujarat. Hence, you will find a large number of private as well as Government (nationalized) banks in the city of Ahmedabad.
- State Bank Of India (Head Office): Lal Darwaja, Ahmedabad
- Union Bank Of India (Regional Office): 172/1, Premchand House, Old High Court Road, Ashram Road, Ahmedabad
- Axis Bank: Trishul – Opp. Samartheshwar Temple, Law Garden, Ellis Bridge, Ahmedabad
- ICICI Bank: Ground Floor, Poonam Plaza, Rambaug, Maninagar, Ahmedabad
- Bank of Baroda: Sghahm,Ground Floor -2, Shapath Iii, Near Gnfc Tower, Sg Highway, Bodakdev, Ahmedabad
- Bank of India (Main): BOI Building, Bhadra, Ahmedabad
- Yes Bank: 102/103, CG Centre, CG Road, Ahmedabad
- UCO Bank: UCO Bank Building, Bhadra, Ahmedabad
Article last re-published on January 4, 2021.